Many students will have travel plans during the summer and for rising seniors those plans often include visiting colleges they plan to apply to in the fall. Here are some tips and advice from our admissions staff of things to keep in mind as you plan your campus visits.
- Do your homework. Go online to websites of the colleges you are visiting. Learn what you want to do while you're on campus. Check for visitation calendars, see if you need to register for a tour, etc. Review a campus map to become familiar with where you are going. If you are visiting UGA and you have an iPhone, download our App which includes a campus map among its many features.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Campus tours will almost always include a walking tour. Now is not the time to break-in a new pair of shoes!
- Come prepared. Go ahead and start thinking about the questions you want to ask and write them down. You don't want to forget once you're there. Determine where you are going to need to park and find an address if you're using a navigational device. Be aware that while some areas may have visitor parking, this is not always free.
- Check the weather. Look online to see what the weather is going to be like the day of your visit. Bring an umbrella if there's a chance of rain. If it's going to be hot bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. You may even want to consider packing sunscreen. It's also never a bad idea to layer your clothing as temperatures outside may change throughout the day.
- Plan for lunch. Visits often last at least a couple of hours and you're probably going to get hungry so go ahead and make plans for lunch. Do you want to try the food you'll be eating as a UGA student on the meal plan? Check out the summer schedule for our Dining Halls here. Visitors are able to pay to eat at one of our award-winning Dining Halls, and it's all you care to eat! There are also many great local restaurant options in downtown Athens.
If you want to schedule your visit to the University of Georgia, sign up for a campus tour and First Year Information Session online here http://www.visit.uga.edu/ . Click here to learn more about visiting UGA!