Thursday, October 25, 2012
Right now, we are still at about 11,400 Early Action applicants, and at this time about 8,000 are complete, and I expect about 800-1000 more will become complete with the test scores we just loaded today. This is looking like a very strong applicant pool for Early Action, but it is hard to tell specifics yet, and we are reviewing transcripts, checking on the rigor of applicants, and reading a few files at this time.
Right now, we expect that we will be releasing the EA decisions sometime between (dramatic pause) mid to late November. Take a moment to do a small dance and shout for joy, then do me one small favor; Do not ask us for a specific date or time. We do not have one, we will not know one until later, and we will not give out a date that we am not 100% sure of it. So be patient, but know that we are almost excited as you are about getting decisions out in November.
If you are missing any documents for Early Action by next Monday morning (10/29), you need to take care of this ASAP. If you just had them mailed this week, be patient, as the mail takes time, but make sure they were sent out. If they were faxed, remember that we shred faxes, so documents need to come in electronically (GA411 for GA transcripts, or Docufide/Parchment/eDocs for transcripts/recommendations) or by mail. In addition, if the documents have a different name than the one on the application (Jimmy instead of James), let us know about this issue.
If your official SAT/ACT scores are not showing up (we only accept scores from the testing agency), contact the testing agency to see what is going on with your scores. Remember, if your name, birth date and/or SSN (or if you left the SSN blank) on the SAT do not match the ones on the application, it may take longer to match up the scores, and you may want to email email@example.com with both of the names if you know they have been sent to UGA and if you know there is an issue with these fields.
Thursday, October 18, 2012
- Total Early Action Applications: Approximately 11,400
- Complete Early Action Applications: Approximately 5,600
- Number of Early Action Applicants Applying on the Deadline: Approximately 2,100
As you can see, about half of all Early Action applications are not complete. Additionally, almost a fifth of the total applicant pool for EA applied on the deadline. This means our office is receiving thousands of documents, test scores, etc. We appreciate your patience as we work as quickly as possible to match documents with files.
It takes our office about 5 to 10 business days to match a document with an applicant's file. As we have said before, our deadlines are postmark deadlines. If your material was submitted by the deadline, it will be considered for Early Action. We will accept the October 6 SAT for Early Action as long as you designated UGA as a school to automatically receive your scores.
Be sure to check your myStatus to make sure you are complete! If material you have sent is not showing up on your myStatus, double-check with your counselor, College Board, etc. to make sure that it was sent. If it was sent and it has been more than 5 to 10 business days, please contact us.
Now that you have submitted your application, take a few minutes to relax and enjoy the fall!
Friday, October 12, 2012
The fastest way to get material to us is to send it electronically. If your high school is in Georgia, you can send transcripts through GAcollege411.org . Students attending a high school outside of Georgia can have their counselors submit transcripts online through Docufide/Parchment. The high school evaluation can be submitted online from the High School Counselor Portal. Remember, no faxes!
Please do not call our office to ask if we have received a document, test score, etc. if it was just sent. It takes about 8 to 10 business days from the time something is mailed for it to be matched with your file. It takes 4 to 5 business days for something submitted online to show up on your myStatus.
Be sure to check your myStatus to see what we have received and what we are missing. This is updated once every business day, so you do not need to check it several times a day. Documents do not need to show up in your myStatus by October 15 to be in by the deadline. Know that if you have submitted something to us by the deadline, we will post it in our system and your myStatus shortly. We appreciate your patience as we work vigorously to match all of the material we are receiving with applications.
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
- Don't wait until the last minute. Even though the deadline is October 15, you should not wait until the last minute to submit your application. We do not hold it against you if you wait until 11:59PM on October 15 to apply, however if you do this you are not giving yourself any time to account for issues that could occur to prevent you from submitting. For example internet connectivity issues, computer problems, etc. The deadline is the deadline, you should always plan to apply earlier than the last minute. Also be sure to take time to review your application before you submit it. Please note while the application is available 24/7, the credit card payment option is only available from 7AM to 9:30PM EST. You can still select the check/fee waiver option after 9:30PM
- Be patient. After you submit your application, please be aware that things will not happen instantaneously. We are likely to have around 10,000 Early Action applicants and the majority of the supplemental material will be sent within the next two weeks. We will be vigorously matching material, but please give things time to get here (both mailed and electronically submitted documents) before contacting us. If an item is mailed, allow time for the postal service to deliver it. If a test score is sent, allow time for it to be both uploaded by the testing agency and downloaded by UGA. Our deadlines are "postmarked/submitted" deadlines. The next few weeks will be a little hectic in our office as we pull together all of the materials for each application, so we may be a little slower in responding to voice mails, emails, etc.
- Do not send a fax. If you or your counselor faxes something in, it will be shredded. We place the shredder next to the fax machine for a reason.
- Check your myStatus. It is the applicant's responsibility to get in all required documents. The myStatus page is updated once a day, generally in the morning, so you do not need to check it multiple times a day. Documents do not need to show up on the myStatus by 10/15 to be in by the deadline, so please be patient. If it has been over 10 business days since you both applied and any "missing" documents have been sent in, you should begin to inquire about the missing document. If it is a GACollege411 transcript, we occasionally have one that does not come through. However, it is easy to go back into the system and access it again.
- Missing SAT/ACT scores. If you sent your SAT/ACT scores a while ago and they have not matched up yet, verify that they were sent to UGA through College Board/ACT. Then verify that the name, social and birth date on the test scores are the same as the admissions application as these are important matching fields. If you have given us enough time to receive them and they are not showing up on myStatus, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your situation and we will work on manually matching your scores. Please be patient as it takes longer than a day for scores we receive to get into our system.
- School Evaluation. Your counselor will have additional time to submit the school evaluation. We will leave the online school evaluation open for at least a week beyond the 10/15 deadline so your counselors should not have to stress about any last minute applicants.
Posted by L. Whittaker at 5:03 PM