Monday, August 9, 2010

New Step in the Admission Application

Sometime tomorrow, the Spring applications will be back up and running. In addition, I expect that on Monday, 8/16, the freshman application will be open and available to the public. While I have already mentioned a few changes to the freshman application (self-reported grades where you will need a copy of your transcript, the activities section moving to part I, etc), one small update will happen for everyone. The Admissions Office is teaming up with the technology group on campus to add a small step in the application called "Contact ID".

A student's Contact ID will allow for more security in the admissions process, and is designed to allow a user to create their own password and security questions when applying and using the status check. While it is an additional first step in the application process, it will populate some information in a student's application (name, address, etc.), and it will help in the overall process for admissions. An applicant will begin the creation of a Contact ID, and finish it after receipt of an email and completion of the rest of their contact information. You will then be able to complete an application and access the status check using the Contact ID login you created.

For students who have already submitted a Spring application, we will be working with you to give you access to the status check through the Contact ID program. Please be patient with us as we do this, as we have to take it step by step.

The Contact ID system will make for an easier, more accurate and more secure application process, which we think is a pretty good goal!

Go Dawgs!

16 comments:

  1. If we have already submitted a spring application, how will we be given our contact id? Do we need to call/email, or will you be emailing us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon: As I said above, please be patient. We will contact you shortly about this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to apply to UGA as a transfer for Spring 2011, what do I need to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon: Go to the admissions web site, and then go to the Apply to UGA link. Then follow the directions for applying as a transfer. As well, make sure all transcripts from all colleges are in by Sept. 1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed the application status check is back up and I tried signing up for my ContactID but I am having problems logging in. Are there still some kinks that need to be worked out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've submitted a request for a Contact ID and waiting for the confirmation email right now.
    About how long will it take for me to receive this confirmation email?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon: As I said, please be patient as we will be sending out an email. If a student has already applied for Spring, they can go to https://www.admissions.uga.edu/access/users/previous_applicant_check to start the process.

    Toan: I do not have an exact time for how long the confirmation email will take. When I did a test run last week, it was under an hour, but it will depend on the circumstances.

    All: This change impact about 500 or so Spring transfers, so it is not a large number, but we want to make sure you can access your status page. But please be patient as we make this transition, as we have had to pull things together to make it happen (I think that we used a lot of duct tape and wire, but I am not sure). The change is to better serve our students and to make sure you have a safe and secure method of checking your status. Again, please be patient, and an email will go out to the Spring transfers who have already applied shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All: The link above is only for applicants who already have an application in the system. For others who wish to initiate an application, follow the instructions on the website for applying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been 5 hours since I've requested for a Contact ID and I still haven't received a confirmation email.
    Any update or reason why?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon: Since this is a new process, I have tried to stress patience for all. This week will be the time to work out any kinks in the system, so my suggestion is to just be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All: At this time, the UGA technology team on campus is working to expedite the delay of the Contact ID issue, and we hope that after a review of the number of people that signed in, we can add additional server space to help deal with the amount of uses the system can handle at one time. As I said, this is a new system, so we are troubleshooting any issues that come up at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have recieved my acceptance letter for Spring 2011! I am super excited to head off to Athens, however I have to make it through this semester first. Is there anyway I can make an appointment to talk to an advisor before then? How do I go about contacting one?
    I dont want to take another semester of useless classes.
    Thanks,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  14. Josh: First, I would suggest reviewing your intended major in the UGA bulletin, as it lists information about suggested classes to take. Second, you can speak to an advisor, and the bulletin will give you a contact person for your major.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have continually tried to find the application to transfer into UGA from Gainesville and I have not had any success. I called the Undergraduate Admissions office and the lady was completely rude and said that the system has crashed and wont be up until next week. But I see that you have told other people to go to Apply to UGA and follow the directions. So is the system up or down? And if it is up, how come whenever I do follow the directions that I can't find the actual application online? Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anon: I am sorry if you feel that our information clerk was rude to you. In about 30 minutes, I will be posting information on this blog about the application process and the issues that we are having.

    On both the front page of the admissions web site and on the application page, you will see the following text "All online Admissions applications and utilities will are currently closed for improvements to the login system. Service will be restored next week. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you very much for your patience.". This means that it is closed until next week (hopefully early next week) as we make changes to the application.

    ReplyDelete