Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Zombie Attack

As I was walking down to the Tate Student Center yesterday, I saw a student swinging an athletic sock (with a few rolled up socks tucked inside for weight and balance) run by me. A few minutes later, I saw another student with a nerf gun shoot a foam dart at a fleeing student. I had no clue as to what was going on, and it was only after I read this morning's Red and Black newspaper that I understood; it was Humans vs. Zombies in a week-long, campus-wide game of tag.

In 2005, two students from Goucher college started the Humans vs. Zombies game, and it has since spread to over 100 colleges throughout the nation. Silly? Yes. Odd? Yes. But it looked like a lot of fun, and I am guessing I would have played it when I was in college. I am glad to see that way that students can have a safe way to relax, be creative, and interact with a wide range of people they never knew before. The Red and Black article stated that over 1,000 students are playing this week. While the admissions process always seems like it is strictly about grades and test scores, please remember that college is about way more than that. It is about life, and fun, and friends (and of course a lot of studying!).

Have fun everyone, and enjoy your week. And remember, look out for zombies!

6 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Go DAWGS!

    I took summer school to make more room for electives senior year. Basically I took regular Eng IV and regular Gov/Econ. Will this look completely terrible on my application for admission? Every other academic class I've had has been honors/AP. If it counts for anything, taking two full year classes in 6 weeks was harder than any AP class I've ever taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph: This will not be looked at in a bad light, as long as you continue to challenge yourself and get prepared for college during your senior year. We see a fair number of students take PE/Gov/Econ during the summer, as this frees up their traditional terms for other coursework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your quick response! I have one more question, though. I'm applying to UGA via gacollege411.org and the short essay questions on that application form are different than the ones on the UGA website's essay questions. Should I just use the UGA website rather than use gacollege411.org because of the discrepancy? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have no problem if you use the GAcollege411 app or ours, but since we control our website and have a little more ability to push the data from our own application, it is sometimes easier for students to use it. We did give the GAcollege411 site the new essays back in the summer, and were told they were changed in Sept., but I will look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two more questions (being inquisitive never hurt anyone, right?). Are foreign language courses factored into the core GPA UGA looks at? And I don't feel as if my senior/junior teachers will do me justice in regards to teacher recommendations. May I use teachers from freshman/sophomore year? They've known me the longest and have seen my growth throughout the span of my high school career.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joseph: Yes, Foreign Language course grades are a part of the core GPA. We do recommend junior or senior year core class teachers for recommendations, but it is not required.

    ReplyDelete